This is the final seasonal newsletter published by The Powell Street Festival Society, but the PSFS publishes a monthly e-newsletter. Sign up now!
Powell Street Festival Society Summer 2014 Newsletter
Volume 20 Number 2
Download a PDF of the PSF Summer 2014 Newsletter
Powell Street Festival 2014
By Alba Calvo, Production Coordinator
As I write this, I feel butterflies in my stomach. I feel like a kid with new shoes, but these shoes are passed onto me by a Japanese Canadian who once lived in the Downtown Eastside.
I feel honoured to be part of The Powell Street Festival. It’s incredible to me that after 38 years the Festival keeps growing. It is thanks to the hard work and help of so many amazing people. They volunteer their time in a shared dream to preserve and develop their culture, find their roots and share this thing called the Powell Street Festival with all Vancouverites.
As the Production Coordinator I feel so lucky to be a part of this community, of this group of talented people. I look forward to meeting the rest of the volunteers who help to make this Festival possible. I cannot express with words how inspiring it is to me to see how much we can achieve if we work together, if we follow the same dream.
I’m excited to learn more about Japanese Canadian culture through historical and educational tours, food, crafts and performances. I am excited to meet both emerging and established artists. The Powell Street Festival is a reflection of the rich multicultural and intercultural expression unique to Canada.
Come celebrate the 38th Powell Street Festival with us on the long weekend of August. Enjoy traditional dances and martial arts, while your kids make Origami at the Children’s Tent after a bite of a delicious Japanese food. I look forward to seeing you there!!
The Powell Street Festival Society had published two newsletters every year, one in February and one in July and now has a monthly e-newsletter. Please click on the following links to download a pdf version of our past newsletters. In order to read these, you will require Adobe Acrobat Reader which you can download here.
- Volume 20, number 1 • Winter 2014 (523 KB)
- Volume 19, number 2 • Summer 2013 (734 KB)
- Volume 19, number 1 • Winter 2013 (376 KB)
- Volume 18, number 2 • Summer 2012 (1.5 MB)
- Volume 18, number 1 • Winter 2012 (1.6 MB)
- Volume 17, number 2 • Summer 2011 (1.3 MB)
- Volume 17, number 1 • Winter 2011 (1.5 MB)
- Volume 16, number 2 • June 2010 (1.1 MB)
- Volume 16, Number 1 • February 2010 (757 KB)
- Volume 15, Number 2 • July 2009 (1.2 MB)
- Volume 15, Number 1 • February 2009 (1.2 MB)
- Volume 14, Number 2 • June 2008 (2.8 MB)
- Volume 14, Number 1 • February 2008 (4.2 MB)
- Volume 13, Number 2 • July 2007 (1.1 MB)
- Volume 13, Number 1 • February 2007 (1.7 MB)
- Volume 10, Number 2 • July 2004 (673KB)
- Volume 10, Number 1 • January 2004 (325KB)
- Volume 9, Number 2 • March 2003 (344KB)
- Volume 9, Number 1 • September 2002 (373KB)
- Volume 6, Number 2 • July 2000 (472KB)
- Volume 6, Number 1 • January 2000 (339KB)