Powell Street Festival embraced the Zero Waste Challenge Project in 2007, one of the first major festivals to do so. Food utensils and dishes sold on site are made of compostable materials. We encourage Festival attendees to support the program and ensure that garbage, compost, and recycling is separated and deposited in the appropriate receptacles. Friendly Environment & Sustainability volunteers are on hand to assist with the sorting.
Bottled water is not sold at PSF so please don’t forget to bring your refillable water bottle. We provide extra water stations throughout the festival weekend!
TOP 5 WAYS TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE ZERO WASTE CHALLENGE!
- Compost all Powell Street Festival food and foodware purchased at the Festival.
- Recycle all your bottles and cans!
- Avoid contaminating our compostable bins with non-Festival foodware waste.
- Carry your own water bottle; you can purchase a limited edition PSF bottle! And fill up at our Pure and Fresh Tap Water Station!
- Ride your bike, walk, or take public transportation to the Festival (use the Free Bike Valet service)!
The Powell Street Festival Society extends special thanks to Green Chair for their enthusiastic support of our Zero Waste Challenge.
Photo by Aki Mimoto, 2010